Tuesday, November 29, 2016

"Packing Leftovers For Myself And For Later"

I realized the older I get, the less I start to enjoy the holidays.There's no more lounging around and being somewhat invisible to adults because now I am one. I have a lingering weight of anxiety due to deadline's coming up even though I'm on a "break", but most of all here are my top 5 reasons why:

1. I now have the responsibility to contribute something for get-togethers. This would be okay if it was only my immediate family, but there's a lot of us who get together. Thankfully, my banana bread was a big hit, but my family knows I don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen and questioned it's safety.

Me (center left), my brother (left of me) and a small portion of us cousins 


2. I'm at the age where I'm kinda expected to start another chapter in my life. Being part of a traditional family and bringing my boyfriend over, I'm obviously going to get bombarded with "So when are you getting married?" and " Have you gained weight? You better not be pregnant yet." from my aunties. To make matters worse, my cousin thought it would be fun to start a rumor that I was pregnant, so my family kept a close eye on me as I was finishing my third plate of helpings. (Girl's gotta eat.)



3. Suddenly, I am the first person to pack leftovers. I am broke as a joke. I've been budgeting for my Las Vegas road trip, so it's put a dent in what I typically spend at the grocery store. Also, my mother's honey glazed ham goes hard and my cousin fried the turkey this year. No complaints eating leftovers to get by for a couple of weeks on my end. I love to make ham sliders with King's Hawaiian bread rolls with pieces of pineapple and mayo with a little bit of sprinkled crushed pepper. 



4. I don't make it to Black Friday. Not that I ever did, because I end up in a food coma attending everyone's Thanksgiving and eating copious amounts of food.Anyways, the point is, I start to slow down at around 7 P.M. and my bedtime is at 9 P.M. Also, I don't even have the luxury of extra cash to spend. I just want to be able to watch the chaos unfold one day.



5. At some point in the night, I have to have some sipping whiskey beside me. You never know what kind of questions are going to be thrown at you from someone who just came out of nowhere. (Have we met?) It's also useful when I get stuck in a card/board game and I'm trying to humor my company even though I want to disappear into another room for a few hours because of the amount of regret I have for over indulging. 


1 comment:

  1. GIRL, NO SHAME! Broke college students gotta eat! Leftovers are a big part of the lifestyle! Where's mine at tho?

    ReplyDelete